+ Human-Robot Interaction Coordinator
Sanctuary is seeking an extroverted, technically savvy individual with exceptional communication skills and a passion for AI to be part of our team as a Human Robot Interaction (HRI) coordinator.
The role will be primarily based at Sanctuary’s flagship initiative, The Empathy Lab, a partnership between Science World, Sanctuary, and local Vancouver educational institutes. The Empathy Lab is a physical space located within Science World where people are able to come and interact with Sanctuary’s ultra-human-like robots (Synths) in a friendly, social setting.
The purpose of the Lab is to create a unique environment for the quantitative study and progressive improvement of social intelligence in ultra human-like machines. Social intelligence encompasses aspects of human experience such as empathy, compassion, kindness, fairness, and persuasion.
The role will involve interacting with public visitors, schoolchildren, academic researchers, and industry professionals. You will be an ambassador for our Synth technology, and an assistant to the Synths. You will help keep the interactions between guests and the Synths safe and on-track, help design and implement Sanctuary internal HRI experiments, and work with external researchers on their HRI experiments. The role will also involve answering questions that people may have about the Empathy Lab and Synth technology.
As an integral member of our team, you will:
- Be an ambassador for our Synth technology
- Help the Sanctuary Synths perform interactions with the public
- Design HRI studies for Sanctuary’s internal research program
- Work with external HRI researchers in performing Human-Robot Interaction experiments
- Attend select events and forums (both at the Empathy Lab and beyond)
- Learn how to engineer and configure a Synth’s brain
- Learn some simple Synth debugging and maintenance techniques
- Pilot the Synth (via teleoperation control) to demonstrate human-in-the-loop mode
- You are passionate about AI, robots, futuristic tech and the possibility of synthetic robot life
- You are a mature extrovert with exceptional oral communication skills with a demonstrated capability to talk tech with a range of audiences from engineers to the general public.
- You have the ability to handle potentially difficult questions about the ethics of robotics and AI in a calm and optimistic manner, and represent the Sanctuary brand appropriately
- You care deeply about the quality of human-robot interactions - including key first impressions - and are able to relay feedback and suggestions to the team such that we can improve the experience people have whilst in the Empathy Lab.
- A background in HRI studies or demonstration of working with robots and people is a great bonus.
Interested applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: FirstName LastName - HRI Coordinator with their CV.