+ Lead Electrical Engineer, Synth Nervous Systems
Sanctuary is seeking an exceptional Electrical Engineer to design and implement nervous systems for our synthetic human (synth) robotic systems. The synth nervous system is a subset of the full humanoid, consisting of skin sensors, wiring, communications protocols, firmware, and local embedded processors.
In this role you will work closely with other Sanctuary engineers, scientists and artists whose north star is the design and implementation of robotic systems with increasingly human-like bodies and minds. Our ultimate goal is to create a new category of machine that currently exists only in science fiction -- thinking, emotive machines that are just like us. While this is a senior lead role, you will be expected to both design and implement early generations of the nervous system yourself.
Synths are complex systems that include sophisticated bodies, of which the nervous system is a part, and powerful general-purpose robotic control systems that are designed to mimic the human mind. The minds we create include but are not limited to deep neural models, reinforcement learning algorithms, symbolic approaches, probabilistic graphical models and neuroscience inspired models. As Lead Engineer responsible for the nervous system, you sit at an important intersection between the physical body and the mind of the synth.
- Own the design and implementation of all aspects of the synth nervous system
- Solve unforseen research and engineering problems as they arise
- Design digital and analog circuits, including schematic capture
- Layout circuit boards using best practices
- Own the hardware manufacturing cycle for all nervous system components (PCB fabrication, assembly, etc.)
- Select and test hardware components and sensors
- Document the entire design and testing process for everything you do
- You are a creative problem solver with a passion for robots
- Taking on a global-scale challenge that could create fundamental change appeals to you
- You have excellent communication skills and enjoy working as a part of a multidisciplinary team
- You have designed and implemented a complex system that includes electronic and electrical components
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, engineering physics or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Related technical projects in a portfolio or personal website
- Excellent practical skills, including soldering, firmware design and implementation, and PCB design
- Master’s or further education
- A passion for AI, and in particular understanding how general intelligence works
- You have worked with complex sensor arrays
- Deep embedded firmware development skills
- Good familiarity with Python and C
- Experience with oscilloscopes, frequency response analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and power meters
Please submit a design portfolio or personal website to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have a design portfolio, pictures of your design projects with short descriptions are required.